I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS VIDEO FOREVER. Not only do I love this song (all of you rolling your eyes at me can suck it), I heard that Katy Perry was shooting the video for it in Camp Pendleton and literally had a meltdown. Fortunately, I was in my car and no one was there to witness it.
Anyway, I’m not going to say much else except that I love this video, it’s making me super motivated, and I like seeing Katy Perry sans most of her makeup and kicking ass. Who says pretty girls can’t be bamfs?
To start off, I just wanted to add as a disclaimer that I am twenty-two years old, which means that I am of legal drinking age in all fifty states, so nothing illegal is going down when I post about me and booze.
Doggery is an old school word for a dive, so I don’t feel so bad posting about alcohol on occasion. Recently, I went to Vons and found this Red Velvet wine from this vineyard called Cupcake and I have to admit that I like it for the most part (Vons was and still is having a 30% off sale on wine, just for your information). It’s a little light for my tastes, but there is a distinct sweetness to it that’s kind of nice, especially if you’re still getting used to red wine, but don’t want the full on sweetness of port wines.
And as an added bonus, I get weirdly productive when I drink, so I started baking. I’ve been a little obsessed with the flavor combination of green tea and white chocolate, so I baked some white chocolate shortbread cookies with white chocolate chips, which turned out quite well, despite my mild intoxication. The recipe I used was this one with the added bonus of some white baking chips. I also made some double chocolate cookies because I felt like it. Unfortunately, I didn’t grease the pan, so they failed a little.
I really shouldn’t be eating food with so much butter, however, which makes it fortunate that I know a bunch of Marines who are in tip top shape who would love to consume some baked goods. I’m not sure if they’re fans of green tea, but I figure menfolk are generally not incredibly picky when it comes to to sweets. And it’s St. Patty’s Day this weekend, so they should appreciate green food.
I’ve been meaning to post a picture of my little welcome box (I really can’t remember the actual name of this thing for the life of me) for a while now and I’ve finally gotten around to it! This is just a little something poolees get when they DEP in as a sort of, “Welcome! Just because you’ve sworn in, doesn’t mean you get to slack off!” Because after you’ve gotten through taking the ASVAB, going through medical, and having to do the swear-in ceremony, there isn’t much else for you to do except wait. And make sure you’re going to be able to pass the IST (something I, myself am working on).
But back to the box! I figured I’d talk about the contents, just because I have the time.
- Le Box – It’s pretty and silver. The end.
- Applicant’s Rights – Pretty much just has the Marine Corps’ policy on discrimination and sexual harassment and also has a little note about recruiters not being able to date applicants/poolees.
- Training Guide – A nifty little booklet that gives you some workout tips and also has an area in the back where you can track your physical progress. I really should be using that, but I always forget… But you know… tracing progress is what weekly PT sessions are for, right? Ha.
- Other Booklet – Has information on various things including what to bring and what not to bring to boot camp. It also provides information you should memorize before shipping off, such as leadership qualities and general orders and all that good stuff. I’m currently trying to memorize the general orders, which really wouldn’t be that difficult if I’d just sit down and do it. But sometimes my Xbox calls to me…
- Stickers! – Clearly, I am excited about these. I love the way they look and they’re super classy and I really want to put one on my car, but I’m going to wait, because I’m not sure for how much longer I’m going to have my car. The other sticker says, “Proud Parent of a U.S. Marine,” which I haven’t gotten around to giving to my parents yet. Mostly because they’re not exactly proud parents at the moment, but hopefully, that’ll change.
And that’s pretty much it. If I’d gone the officer route, I would have also gotten a giant-ass book that has the entire Marine Corps history in it, but since I stuck with the enlisted route, my box is a lot more manageable.
I’m not even a Marine yet and I’m already getting some benefits, yo!
So these dudes from Chase came to PT the other day to talk to me and the other poolees about banking and being smart with your money and yadda-yadda and I figured it was mainly for the youngins (I don’t really know, because I showed up kind of late that day, har…), because, I mean, I’ve had a bank account for years and I’m pretty good about my money and all that. But, what caught my attention was the fact that they offer certain services to military personnel and I figure, hey, if I’m going to serve my country, I’m sure as hell going to take advantage of whatever benefits get thrown my way. I mean, this is the girl that went to conventions and took a bunch of free stickers just because I could. I like free things, okay?
But unlike stickers, this stuff is actually useful. Not going to bore y’all with the details, but pretty much I can get a free premier checking account with Chase and it comes with some nice little perks. It also comes at a good time, because I’ve been considering getting an account that isn’t connected to my mom’s for a while. Not that I don’t trust my mother or anything, but I got that account when I was like, sixteen and wasn’t old enough to have one by myself. But it’s about time I get my big girl account.
Anyway, even though I’m pretty sure the only people who are reading this are my friends, if there are some poolees or prospective poolees out there reading this, look in to your benefits. Just being DEP’d in allowed me to qualify for this account, so look into what kind of shit you can get! And having a bank account is always a good thing anyway. I mean, once you go to bootcamp and start making your cash moneys, you have to have a place to put it, right?